Philip Sparke’s pieces for brass and woodwind instruments have appeared in syllabuses of examination boards around the world. His new collection, 15 Easy Classical Solos, features arrangements for instrumentalists who can play just over an octave making them ideal for young 40 Piece Challenge students.
The principle behind this series is to allow young instrumentalists the chance to enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of playing with a piano or CD accompaniment as early as possible in the learning experience. This of course allows the performer to develop important ensemble, listening and rhythmic skills.
The carefully selected pieces include music from the 16th to the 20th century and cover a wide variety of styles, from Bach to Grieg and from Purcell to Satie.
This book will provide invaluable additional 40 Piece Challenge repertoire that will complement any teaching method and includes both piano accompaniment and a demo/play-along CD.
- Waltz (Moritz Vogel)
- Chorale – Now Praise, My Soul, the Lord (Johann Sebastian Bach)
- Humming Song – from Album for the Young (Robert Schuman)
- Gymnopedie No. 1 (Erik Satie)
- I’m Called Little Buttercup – from HMS Pinafore (Sir Arthur Sullivan)
- Study – Op. 37, No. 3 (Henry Lemoine)
- Minuet – Z 649 (Henry Purcell)
- Theme and Variation – from Sonatina No. 3 (Thomas Attwood)
- Northern Song – from Album for the Young (Robert Schumann)
- Two German Dances – from Twelve German Dances D 420 (Franz Schubert)
- Watchman’s Song – from Lyric Pieces Op. 12 (Edvard Grieg)
- Gavotte (Jan Ladislav Dussek)
- Vien qua, Dorina bella – Op. 7 (Antonio Bianchi arr. Carl Maria von Weber)
- Minuet – from Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach (attrib. Christian Petzold)
- The Prince of Denmark’s March – from Choice Lessons for the Harpsichord or Spinet (Jeremiah Clarke)
This collection is available for the following instruments, and can be purchase at all these great stores:
Alto Saxophone • AMP300400
Bassoon • AMP307400
Clarinet • AMP299400
Euphonium BC TC • AMP305400
Flute • AMP297400
Horn • AMP303400
Oboe • AMP298400
Tenor Horn Euphonium TC • AMP363400
Tenor Saxophone • AMP301400
Trombone • AMP304400
Trumpet • AMP302400
Tuba in B Flat BC/TC • AMP306400
For more new instrumental titles, click here
We love hearing all the positive feedback about the challenge. Sharon from Victoria writes:
“The 40 Piece Challenge is going fantastic in my studio. In 30 years, I’ve never had so many motivated students. It’s just wonderful. I’ve been able to shift the intense exam focus (by many of my kids’ parents) to what’s really important.
The kids are loving it and they’re already better sight readers and so much more confident.
This Taylor Swift book is fantastic!! Two thirds of my students are primary aged children and it’s a real winner with the girls. It’s great sight reading as it’s simply set out and has no words to distract the reader.”
You can order this book from your local music store now! Just quote the ordering code: 109369
Pieces are about a Preliminary level, and arranged really well so that they sound like the original.